Department: Information Technology Services
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Closing date: 03/01/2023
Are you a passionate communicator with an eye for detail and ability to research and write descriptive content? Can you turn complex and technical information into clear and engaging messaging and instructions?
Florida State University is looking for a technical writing professional to join the Information Technology Services (ITS) Integrated Communications team. The Integrated Communications team within ITS is a high-performing team responsible for delivering unified, strategic communications that maximize awareness and rapport for ITS across the university. The technical writer is responsible for producing high-quality documentation and communication materials that boost the user experience and contribute to the overall success of university IT services. You will report to the assistant director of marketing communications and be responsible for managing all public-facing technical documentation for the university’s central IT department.
In this role, you will learn complex technical concepts and communicate information in a way that is engaging and understandable to both highly technical and non-technical users. You will work collaboratively with service offering managers, subject matter experts and other content creators to prepare technical documentation and marketing communications that encourages increased understanding, usage and appreciation of ITS services and initiatives.
As an ITS technical writer, your main duties will include:
- Researches, outlines, writes and edits technical documentation to help individuals understand how to successfully use ITS services
- Manages existing "IT Support" FAQs and documentation and single-sources content across multiple materials and mediums
- Creates and maintains user guides, FAQs and other modern user aids, such as online videos and infographics, and designs visuals and screenshot markups to accompany content
- Consults with service offering managers and subject matter experts and conducts hands-on experimentation to test documentation for accuracy
- Adheres to technical writing and style guidelines to ensure a consistent voice across documentation and other communications
- Continuously updates and refines content to keep up with changing digital products and procedures.
- Develops best practices and optimizations for ITS technical documentation and content generation
- Documents internal operating procedures and evaluates and recommends process improvements
- Creates and maintains templates for written documentation
- Writes and edits content for various communication channels, including website, email, social media, presentations, brochures and other marketing materials to support strategic goals
- Exercises creative writing and journalism skills to create copy for awareness and promotional campaigns and research and write new stories
- Edits and proofs material prepared by other staff
- Coordinates effective dissemination of ITS marketing communication messages to the university community through appropriate channels
- Coordinates with the project team to define and collect audience lists
- Builds email communications using email marketing tools
- Updates ITS website using web content management system
- Leads development and distribution of communications about planned and unplanned ITS service interruptions, including maintenance
- Gathers necessary information from service offering managers and distributes notices and updates in a timely manner
- Maintains ITS service status system and posts incident updates to websites, social media and other relevant channels
The ideal candidate will have experience in technical writing of software documentation and will bring the following qualifications to the role:
- Bachelor's degree or combination of post high school education and experience equal to four years
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and experience editing and proofreading
- Excellent ability to understand and interpret technical terminology and convey technical information to a wide range of audiences
- Outstanding customer service skills
- Exceptional attentional to detail and ability to work methodically to organize and document information
- A problem-solving approach with the ability to make effective decisions
- Working knowledge of basic computer software, systems and applications, including Microsoft 365 suite
- Experience working with website content management system, such as Drupal
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite
Florida State University
One of the nation's elite research universities, Florida State University preserves, expands, and disseminates knowledge in the sciences, technology, arts, humanities, and professions, while embracing a philosophy of learning strongly rooted in the traditions of the liberal arts and critical thinking. Founded in 1851, Florida State University is the oldest continuous site of higher education in Florida. FSU is a community steeped in tradition that fosters research, encourages creativity, and embraces diversity. At FSU, there’s the excitement of being part of a vibrant academic and professional community, surrounded by people whose ideas are shaping tomorrow’s news!
Learn more about our university and campuses: https://hr.fsu.edu/working-fsu/prospective-employees
Equal Employment Opportunity
An Equal Opportunity/Access/Affirmative Action/Pro Disabled & Veteran Employer. FSU's Equal Opportunity Statement can be viewed at: http://www.hr.fsu.edu/PDF/Publications/diversity/EEO_Statement.pdf
Background Check Requirements
This position requires the successful completion of a criminal history background check. The background check will be conducted as authorized and in accordance with University Policy 4-OP-C-7-B11.
How to Apply
If qualified and interested in a specific vacancy as advertised, apply to Florida State University at https://jobs.fsu.edu.
Applicants are required to complete the online application with all applicable information. Applications must include work history and all education details (if applicable) even if attaching a resume.