Marketing and Communications Manager
Marketing and Communications Manager
The George Mason University, School of Business, invites applications for the position of Marketing and Communications Manager. This position is responsible for administering, managing and supporting marketing and communications efforts that further the School of Business’s goal of building and strengthening relationships with its various constituencies. This position will also be responsible for the day-to-day management and operation of the School’s social media properties (Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and Twitter), and, with the Director of Marketing, will create and implement engaging social media campaigns. The Marketing and Communications Manager position is a full-time classified staff position with full benefits.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment. Mason is the most diverse public university in Virginia and 12th nationally, based on the U.S. News & World Report 2022 Best Colleges list. Washington, D.C. is ranked the 30th most racially and ethnically diverse city nationally amongst cities with a population of at least 300,000 people according to the U.S. News & World Report 2018 Diversity Ranking.
Independently manage and monitor School of Business social media accounts, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, Twitter, and YouTube. Create engaging social content across all platforms; this includes idea development, copy writing, and design of supporting graphics. Communicate and interact with social media followers. Prepare monthly reports on efforts. Stay current on best practices and emerging trends in social media;
Generate written content for non-social media marketing and communications activities (such as the website, e-newsletters, and Impact Magazine) consistent with School messaging strategies, and marketing goals; and
Utilize the University eVA system and credit card as appropriate to process purchases for goods and services. Utilize the University Travel Request System to generate travel authorizations and reimbursements. Utilize other University systems to aid the Marketing and Communications team with procurement needs as applicable (i.e., Sodexo Catering system, Food & Beverage forms, Payment Request Forms, purchasing card, etc.).
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, a related field, or equivalent combination of relevant education and experience;
- Experience creating brand-consistent, meaningful content on a range of social media platforms, including writing and editing social media posts, improving audience engagement, and promoting social media campaigns;
- Experience creating graphics. Past use of Canva required;
- Advanced writing and editing skills;
- Detail oriented with excellent organizational skills;
- Ability to work collaboratively with teams in a fast-paced and deadline sensitive environment;
- Superb oral and written communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills;
- Superior prioritization skills and work ethic; and
- Ability to work with senior management personnel.
- Knowledge in other design software – Photoshop, InDesign, etc.
Special Instructions to Applicants
For full consideration, applicants must apply for position number 02826z at https://jobs.gmu.edu by September 29, 2022 ; complete and submit the online application; and upload a cover letter, resume, and list of professional references. We will contact you directly if we require additional materials. Review of applications will continue until the position is filled.
George Mason University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer, committed to promoting inclusion and equity in its community. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or veteran status, or any characteristic protected by law.