Orientation Operations Manager
Orientation Operations Manager
The James Madison University Orientation Office is accepting applications for an Operations Manager position. Orientation programs at JMU include First Year and Transfer Orientation, a one-day summer program for students and families, hosted in June and July, Weeks of Welcome program at the beginning of the fall and spring semester, Spring Orientation program in December, and other transition programs. The Orientation Office is also supported by a team of over student staff who guarantee success of these initiatives. Orientation is a student-centered, team-oriented environment that values student development coupled with expectations to encourage students to become active and authentic members of the university community.
JMU offers excellent comprehensive benefits which include paid vacation, sick, parental, and community service leave in addition to 19 paid holidays a year; affordable health insurance; retirement through the Virginia Retirement System. We also offer a work-life balance and integration program, Balanced Dukes, that is designed to support and enhance the overall wellbeing of our employees and a Tuition Waiver Program that allows employees to have tuition waived for undergraduate and graduate level courses taken at JMU. Visit our Prospective Employee site to learn more about what makes James Madison University a great place to work!
To support the mission of JMU and the Office of Orientation and Transition by serving as a key agent for customer service, communication and day-to-day orientation operation functions. This position has a unique combination of administrative, technical and programming responsibilities. Other duties include recruitment, supervision and training of the operation’s student staff, management of the front office area, including creating and updating office/operating protocols, and as back-up support to the supervisor thus trained on all internal databases and the online reservation system.
Primary Responsibilities are:
- Manage the daily customer service needs of the office including answering phones and emails, interacting with customers as they visit the Office of Orientation & Transition.
- Supervise and train a small group of student staff members to assist in the operational tasks and manage social media accounts for the office.
- Manage Orientation programming logistics such as room reservations, key reservations, report running from an online reservation system, and data entry.
- Coordinating materials and set up for check-in processes of Orientation programs
- Assisting with other clerical work to support Orientation & Transition programs in the office such as scanning files, managing orientation fee billing, maintaining inventory, etc. as needed.
- Serve on several committees to represent Orientation and be a liaison to campus partners in support of Orientation programs
- Experience demonstrating excellent customer service, answering business phone calls and emails
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Demonstrate awareness of the transition needs of first-year and transfer students and their guests
- A bachelor’s degree completed in a related field
- Experience training and supervising student staff in a higher education setting
- Experience working with Microsoft computer programs and Learning Management Systems
James Madison University is an equal opportunity employer committed to creating and supporting a diverse and inclusive work and educational community that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status.