ControllerMacon Area Jobs
Controller, Fort Valley State University, Fort Valley, GA:
The Controller is responsible for overseeing the General Accounting and Financial Reporting functions and the financial services area including General Ledger, Accounts Payable, Asset Management, Procurement, Auxiliary services accounting, and Payroll. Responsibilities include implementing and maintaining a system of internal controls that will ensure that university assets are adequately safeguarded and that all financial reporting is prepared in compliance with all financial policies and GAAP. The Controller demonstrates in-depth knowledge of fund accounting principles and applicable governmental accounting standards. This position develops and administers accounting policies and procedures to maintain the fiscal integrity of the University. The Controller provides leadership and assumes the responsibility for all fiscal period close processes. This position addresses tight deadlines and a multitude of activities including financial reporting, year-end closing and audit activities. The Controller will have contact with senior-level administrators, the University's Internal Auditor, and external agencies which require strong interpersonal communication skills, both written and verbal.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Establish and monitor internal controls for areas of responsibility. This includes documentation of all key processes, regular review of the documentation for updates and monitoring to ensure that staff is performing the documented processes. Independently prepare or oversee accurate annual financial reporting, which includes, but is not limited to: Annual Financial Report (AFR), IPEDS financial reporting data, SEFA, Annual Expenditure Report (AER), Public Private Venture (PPV), Component Unit files, and additional annual, quarterly, and monthly reports.
- Coordinate with Student Financial Aid to ensure FISAP amounts agree with amounts reported in the financial statements.
- Works closely with the Budget Director on the preparation of the Budgetary Compliance Report and on fiscal analysis and financial planning projects.
- Management and development of staff including Bursar's office, Procurement, Accounting Services, Accounts Payable, Asset Management, Grants Accounting, Auxiliary Services accounting, and Payroll.
- Supervise audit coordination and document preparation for state, BOR, and internal audits; ensure responses to auditor questions and additional requests are provided within their 48 hour requested window; coordinate and review annual State Internal Control Questionnaire; review and approve Auditor checklist and Trial Balance books for Fiscal Year-End ensuring schedules agree with amounts reported in the financial statements.
- Conduct staff meetings, ensure proper communication among supervisors and staff members; participate on University committees; work with Board of Regents (BOR); and meet with management to resolve accounting issues as needed.
- Review capital lease documents and financial proformas related to Public Private Venture (PPV) agreements; interface with management on capital projects.
- Research and interpret State and Board of Regents (BOR) policies; write FVSU policies and procedures. Research proper accounting treatment per Governmental Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Overall responsibility for General Ledger which includes review and analysis of all ledgers (Actuals, GAAP, and Capital) to ensure accuracy in financial reporting.
- Overall responsibility for Auxiliary Services accounting which includes budgeting, financial reporting, and ensuring contract terms and conditions are met for outsourced auxiliaries.
- Overall responsibility for operation of the Bursar's Office which includes daily cash receipting, student accounts, collections, and all receivables for the University; work with other departments such as Registrar and Financial Aid on common issues regarding policy or procedure.
- Responsible for overall Procurement process and policy including P-Card; review and approve policy changes and compliance with state policy; ensure timely completion of Purchase Orders and agreement to General Ledger; interface with Management on Procurement issues.
- Maintain detail of prior year and current year surplus throughout the fiscal year with the objective of minimizing any accounts payable surplus.
- Maintain and update cash flow projections; optimize interest income through allowable investment and provide updates to the Vice President for Business and Finance on timing of any projected cash shortages.
- Meet all reporting deadlines except under extraordinary circumstances that would prevent it.
- Submit all external reporting, including those for the BOR and Department of Audits and Accounts, to the Vice President for Business and Finance for review at least one week prior to the reporting deadline.
- Support and/or reconciliations, as applicable should accompany reporting that is submitted for review.
- Master's Degree in Accounting, Current CPA license, and minimum of three (3) years of progressively responsible experience in governmental accounting.
- Knowledge of automated accounting and reporting system and proficiency with Microsoft Excel, word processing software, query/report writing and data maintenance.
- Advanced knowledge of GAAP and Internal Controls. Experience with PeopleSoft Accounting System, Banner (Accounts Receivable system), and ADP.
- Experience in higher education setting.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, and University System of Georgia BOR policies and procedures.
- Considerable knowledge of governmental accounting methods and procedures and financial practices.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, organizational, oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment as well as independently with little supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Working conditions: Evening/night/weekend work required during peak times; Travel occasionally for meetings/workshops.