Research Station SuperintendentMacon Area Jobs
University of Georgia Southwest Research & Education Center Plains, GA Research Station Superintendent
Superintendent will oversee all aspects of operations at the research center.
Position will oversee all aspects of operations at the Southwest Research & Education Center in Plains, Ga., historic home of President Jimmy Carter. Duties include, but are not limited to, interacting with UGA scientists and farm employees to ensure that research is conducted according to protocol. The Research Station Superintendent will lead the planning, organization, supervision of research projects; maintaining plot records and making plot assignments; managing center budgets; maintaining records of research being conducted; maintaining equipment and buildings; making land assignments; and performing other duties as needed. The superintendent reports directly to the Asst. Dean of UGA CAES, Tifton Campus.
Education, Experience, Licensure, Certification required:
- Bachelor's degree in an agricultural science, business or engineering field is preferred; but, will consider an equivalent combination of formal education and experience.
- Experience in operation and management of a modern farm, including irrigation and production practices for row crops.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, organize, budget and communicate effectively.
- The ability and willingness to work with scientists, staff and administration, cooperate with USDA-ARS personnel, as well as a diverse external constituency, is a must.
- Because of the dependence upon new irrigation, precision agriculture, guidance technologies, communications and electronics, experience and training in one or more of these areas is desirable.
- A valid driver's license
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies required to successfully perform work
- Ability to coordinate management of a research farm engaged in numerous and varied projects.
- To effectively communicate with administrators, faculty, staff and general public.
- Ability to operate all types of farm equipment.
- Must be good physical condition with the ability to lift up to 50 lbs., drive tractors and other farm equipment and work outdoors in varying weather conditions.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution