Warehouse Manager / Service Manager III
Warehouse Manager / Service Manager III
Job no: 849539
Work type: Support Staff
Pay Grade: 13
Major Administrative Unit / College: University Procurement And Logistics
Department: Logistics And University Stores 10074363
Sub Area: APSA- Pro Supervisory
Salary: Salary Commensurate with Experience
Location: East Lansing
Categories: Administrative/Business/Professional, Operations Services, Professional Supervisory- APSA, Full Time (90-100%), Union
Current MSU Benefit Highlights
Compensation for this support staff position includes generous paid time off; a 10% retirement match with a 5% employee contribution to the base retirement plan; health and dental insurance plan options with premiums paid fully by MSU; education assistance benefits for employee and dependents; employer-paid life insurance; and a large menu of voluntary benefits. Details can be found in the Support Staff Open Enrollment Guide and respective collective bargaining agreements on the MSU Human Resources website at https://hr.msu.edu.
This position will report to the Inventory Services Manager and be responsible for managing the day-to-day operations of the Warehouse Services department. Warehouse Services supports campus operations by providing an array of fulfillment and storage options. A primary component of these services is University Stores, which stocks and distributes commonly used, high volume items for campus. We have approximately 1,600 items in stock at our 39,000 square foot warehouse. The warehouse offers storage options available to departments to store non-sensitive records, supplies, and equipment for a monthly storage fee.
The Warehouse Manager will also oversee order fulfillment and timely mailing of items purchased on the Shop.msu.edu online public sales platform.
This position will create and maintain financial records including the Warehouse Service department budget. In this role, they will be the direct supervisor of various employees which may include APSA, APA, 1585, and CT positions and be expected to provide a safe and positive work environment. This position is responsible for carrying out the strategic mission of University Procurement and Logistics (UPL) as well as MSU.
Warehouse Services prioritizes compliance with federal, state, and local regulations to keep the university safe and provide necessary services onsite to support the mission of teaching, learning, and research. This position will be responsible for hazardous materials, chemical handling oversight and should possess a high competency in reporting and analytics. This position will also be responsible for warehouse and inventory optimization including evaluating product mix, setting minimum order quantities, and determining reorder points.
- Identify improvements to mitigate risks and safety concerns, provide recommended solutions to leadership and manage implementation.
- Effectively lead team to successfully introduce process and operations improvements.
- Oversee daily warehouse operations and direct the work of the Warehouse Services team.
- Responsible for monitoring inventory levels and utilization to maintain relevance, order strategy, and resources.
- With a safety forward mindset, provide a safe working environment focused on facility upkeep and team member safety.
- Create metrics and data reporting for leadership team as well as identify gaps in current reporting.
- Utilize data for warehouse optimization and strategic goal implementation.
- Maintain adequate inventory levels to provide a high level of customer service and satisfaction.
- Ensure policy compliance with current regulations and requirements related to chemical, hazardous material handling and storage.
- Leverage technology and data for operations and sales optimization.
- Build, implement, and communicate updated policies, processes, reports, training, and communication methods.
- Implement new Point of Sale System as well as provide recommendations to update other service delivery methods and equipment.
- Act as escalation point for Warehouse Services.
- Review and maintain Service Level Agreements as required.
- Create and implement strategic direction and associated planning for Warehouse Services in alignment with MAU strategic initiatives.
- Receive and provide feedback effectively, ability to hold people accountable while maintaining positive relationships
- Maintain an inclusive and collaborative environment, both internal and external to unit
- Create and monitor department budget.
- Represent Warehouse Services on projects and committees to promote UPL as a leader in supply chain solutions on campus.
- Demonstrate visionary, motivational, and supportive leadership.
- Present an attitude geared toward continuous improvement and growth for both you and your team.
- Be present and visible in daily work and be approachable to staff.
- Exhibit excellent written and verbal communication skills.
This position works Monday-Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Unit Specific Education/Experience/Skills
Knowledge normally acquired in the first two or three years in college, technical, or vocational school in a field related to the area of responsibility; three to five years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in supervising operational activities related to the area of employment; OR knowledge equivalent to that which normally would be acquired by completing a four-year college degree program in a field related to the area of responsibility; one to three years of related and progressively more responsible or expansive work experience in supervising operational activities related to the area of employment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Contract management experience.
- 49CFR certification preferred or other related chemical and hazardous material handling certifications.
- Certified Forklift Operator.
- One to two years' experience in project management.
- Experience creating and managing operational budget for a multi-million dollar operation.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability or protected veteran status.
Required Application Materials
Resume and Cover Letter.
Summary of Physical Demands
Lifting up to 50 pounds and team lifting up to 75 pounds, bending, squatting, and pushing/pulling will be required.
Summary of Health Risks
Potentially encounter hazardous materials.
The Bidding Eligibility ends on 03/14/2023 at 11:55 PM
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Applications close: Eastern Daylight Time