Technical Support Specialist I (R23-09)
Technical Support Specialist I (R23-09)
About RF for SUNY at the University at Albany:
Employment is with The Research Foundation for the State University of New York, a private, nonprofit, educational corporation that provides essential sponsored program administration and innovation support services to SUNY faculty and students whose ideas and research generate ground-breaking discovery and translate to entrepreneurial and economic development opportunities for New York State.
Working at the SUNY Research Foundation for the University at Albany, you will be part of a team that provides essential services to the University as it moves to the front ranks of American higher education, supporting the advancement of education, research and discovery. The University at Albany, a nationally recognized research university with outstanding faculty, researchers and staff, offers challenging, exciting and rewarding careers to those who seek opportunities to grow and excel.
Description of Duties:
The Technical Support Specialist I position will be responsible for the first response to ITSMR DRE users, GTSC users, and their inquiries, and IT support to ITSMR internal end users. These requests can be made over the phone via technical support emails or JIRA tickets. The Technical Support Specialist I must also manage these efforts in accordance with ITSMR requirements.
To be successful in this position, the Technical Support Specialist is expected to put ITSMR's customers, their issues, and requests for help at the forefront of their work. They need to employ a high level of professionalism, be detail-oriented and possess high-level organizational skills to ensure that all requests are adequately categorized, processed efficiently, and priorities are managed appropriately.
What is the responsibility of this first response position?
The first response captures all details for any incident or service request. They must triage new issues in Jira, help resolve existing problems, and direct requests to the appropriate parties.
What issues are they expected to resolve?
The Technical Support Specialist I will be trained to resolve the following issues:
- Support users of the DRE application with all usability and technical issues.
- Resolve software issues for both internal employees as well as external customers.
- Handle internet-related issues such as internet access and VPN connection issues.
- Resolve hardware issues with desktops, laptops, peripherals, and mobile devices.
- Answer the technical support line and provide live support for customers. (The DRE Technical Support line will become ITSMR Help Desk).
- Troubleshoot MobileIron issues both internally and externally.
- Upload DRE data to NHTSA quarterly.
- Manage the ITSMR backup system.
- Perform QA testing of new software features and bug fixes to ensure products meet customer expectations and specifications.
- Document the QA processes.
- Perform additional duties as required.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Associate degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field plus 2 years of relevant experience.
- Ability to gather technical details for troubleshooting purposes.
- Must provide a high level of customer service in a technical support environment.
- Experience managing customers over the phone, by email, or while handling technical support tickets.
- Must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must possess the ability to document and manage technical requests.
- Must possess the ability to multitask and work independently or with a team.
- Possess basic working knowledge of the Microsoft and Linux operating systems which includes the latest server OSs for both platforms.
- Possess basic working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Google Workspace, and anti-virus programs.
- Possess basic networking knowledge, including routers, switches, firewalls, proxies, and wireless technologies.
- Possess basic working knowledge of virtualization, data backups, and remote monitoring.
- Detail oriented, adaptable, organized, and able to manage and multitask projects.
Salary Range: $55,000-$65,000 (commensurate with experience)
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the following website for the complete Annual Security Report ("Clery Report"): http://police.albany.edu/asr.htm
As an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, The Research Foundation for SUNY will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, physical and mental disability, criminal record, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status with respect to receiving public assistance, domestic violence victim status, a disabled, special, recently separated, active duty wartime, campaign badge, Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.
The Research Foundation for The State University of New York offers exceptional benefits such as healthcare, dental, vision, pension plans, competitive pay, generous paid time off, tuition assistance, life insurance and long-term disability insurance. The University at Albany offers a variety of performing arts, world class libraries, and competitive sporting events.
Persons interested in the above position should submit a resume, three work-related references, along with a letter of application to https://rfhr.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=159323
Applicants must address in their application their ability to work with a culturally diverse population.